Saturday 9 February 2013

My new home in Kiwangala


This was written yesterday evening… and now I have internet I can post it on here J
Feels like a long time ago now, that I was on the little islands on Lake Victoria. I’m sat on my bed in my new home in Kiwangala, and it really does feel like home, it’s strange, I never thought it would be this easy to settle into a place. Calum is sat at the end of the bed playing his guitar. He’s feeling far too smug as he just scared the life out of me by jumping out behind my wall in the dark. We have no electricity in our little section of the house. I tried to attach some photos to this blog.. but my camera is being akward, Louis, if you were here, you'd know what to do! but I will post some photos so you can see what the setup is like here. We have 2 houses, which is basically 1 house with 4 rooms and 2 front doors, so we all have our own room, the front room in both houses leads through to the back room, which then goes out to our garden. The garden is fab, it’s walled in which means we can lounge around in shorts, to our hearts content, showing your legs in public is a big no no here. We have a groovy little lean-to with a big picnic table under it, and another little building which is our kitchen, Jenny and Holly painted it yellow and blue and we have a hob in there. At the end of the garden are our long drops, we have 6! For 4 of us. Then we have our fire pile, where we put all our rubbish to burn, and next to that is a pen for chickens.. which we’re going to get! When Calum and I were playing pool this evening along at the pool place in Kiwangala I was speaking to a guy who told me where we could get some. Then we have a little walled in bit which is for washing. Having no water is pretty hard, it’s like camping constantly, but when it rains we collect the water off the roof, and a few days ago James, an ex-pupil showed us where the bore holes were in the village, Jenny and Holly had never been before! I think they must never have washed for 5 months! But, turns out they’re not that far away, about 1km, so yesterday Jenny and I walked along and she helped me wash a load of clothes. Then I washed my hair under the pump, it felt so good to have unlimited relatively clean water.
So that’s our home, thank you for all your comments on my last blog, it means a lot to hear from everyone! Hope you all got my replies, not promising I’ll do that every time though!
I have so much more to say! Another blog to follow..

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate,
    Great description of your living accommodation. Its easy to picture it. Great that you have water closer than you thought. Hope you manage to get the chickens soon. What are you eating out there/. I am still juicing. Usually just make one big one a day and try to eat less!!
    Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete