Friday 25 January 2013

Muzungu!

So I'm sat again in this little internet cafe,this time there is a tape playing describing the way a lion lives. Very strange.

Since I last wrote I've been thrown further into Ugandan life, and loving it more and more every day as I gradually learn about the slow way people live here.

On the 18th we hopped on bodas (small motorcycles) to Lake Bunyonyi, which is stunning place, with hundreds of islands, apparently its 900m deep, making it the second deepest lake in Africa, but I'm not sure how true this is, you really can't believe everything you read or hear here. and the landscape would suggest otherwise. So we stayed for 3 nights right on the lake side, in a little hut attached to the school there.
I'm finding it hard to think what to write here,as I'm still feeling overwhelmed by eveything, so I'm just going to write somelittle bits from my diary, and hoipefully you will get an idea of what it's like here.

20/01/13 LAKE BUNYONYI
  There's a jetty here, with the sun shinig on it, there's a breeze in the trees and the water is lapping on the shore. The locals all have large canoes carved from tree trunks, the little children row them up and down the lake. Yesterday, right in front of us, one boy tried to take down another canoe with 4 boys sat in it by crashing in to  the side of them. There was a lot fo shouting and laughing, before they headed off again in opposit directions. The children here really know how to have fun. When Sam and I took a canoe over top the otherside of the lake to climb the hill there, a group of young children soon sniffed out the muzungus and followed us up. One girl, of about 4 was carrying her young sister of about 1 on her back, I was shocked at just how strong there little bodies are. I was sweating and out of breath, and she seemed unphased.

21/01/13 LAKE BUNYONYI
Been here 3 nights now, everything seems to have slowed down somehow, although the last few days have gone pretty fast, I feel like I've been here a long time. On our first morning we got up at 7am to watch the sun rising. It was so overcast you couldn't actually see the sun, but somehow it still managed to be the most beautiful 7am I've ever seen.

Lake Bonyonyi is filled with crayfish, no other fish, but thousnads of crayfish. Yesterday we saw a man pull up to the jetty we were sat on, in his big canoe, and procceed to untie and haul 4 large wicker nets/crates full of crayfish, without even slightly rocking the boat.

There seems to be always either music or drums playing constantly from the villages around our little section of the lake. There is always the sound of voices and laughter,carried on the breeze across the lake.



Thank you for everyone's comments on my last blog. Joe Wilkinson, you are a comic genius. I was sat laughing out loud to myself. However, don't expect my writing to get any better, I'm not planning on checking through what I write, I'll leave that up to youy! I don't feel like I'm doing this blog justice, so I'm going to stop.Although since Bonyonyi I have been to Kisoro, and nearby Lake Mutunda, both are spectacular. I will write again soon, and upload some photos, not surprisingly I have already built up a rather large collection! Might not get on again until I get to Kampala, which will be the middle of next week. I'm off to the Ssese islands with Sam (a PT volunteer who's been here since September and knows the ropes) tomorrow for a few nights. Calum is off to climb mt Elgon with 2 other volunteers.

VEEEEEEEERy nearly lost all of that just now, when the power cut out and everything turned off.. but somehow it restored my session,. thank goodness,I think I might've cried!

Hope you're all well, thinking of you as I'm sat here in the sun, as you're shivering in -5'C, hope you get some snow! 






12 comments:

  1. kate! I've just got home from town and there's so so much snow! And it's sticking! Everyone's so excited. I'm so jealous of you it sounds so good! We're all missing you so much but it's lovely to hear your having such an amazing time! Love you Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jen, it's hard to think about snow when it's so warm here! Kind of miss snow! We've had some pretty exciting thunderstorms here though! I miss and love you too xx

      Delete
  2. Hello Kate. How wonderful to read your blog. It sounds amazing. Life close to nature for the children who live there. Thanks so much for your vivid portrait of African life! I can nearly close my eyes and imagine I'm there. We have just had our first snowfall at last in Morecambe! Dad and Jack were at Wacky Warehouse and I went to the doctor to get an antibiotic for the flu. There was a blizzard after I left them there and by the time they got out it was a winter wonderland! They are outside now playing in the snow at home. Maybe tomorrow we'll build a snowman! And do some sledging... We are having our neighbours round for mulled wine and mince tarts on Sunday from 2 - 4.30. All very Christmassy here still! We thought it was too busy in Dec for a get together so we are having one in Jan. tomorrow morning I'm planning to bake 24 mince tarts.
    Really glad you're having such a wonderful experience. David Attenborough eat your heart out! We miss you loads here but we're so glad and excited for you that you are having such an amazing time. Yippee! You go girl. Lots of love, Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you, it means a lot to be kept up to date with everything that's going on at home. snow really is a surreal idea to me at the moment, glad you finally got some though! hope you had a nice time on sunday, have you finally finished the mince pies yet?! David Attenborough eat your heart out... hahaha!
      wahoooo! lots of love to you too x

      Delete
  3. Hello Kate,
    I am going to say if this is the same font it is causing problems in the lower case letters as well as the capitals. If you haven's noticed, the 'e's look exactly the same as 'c's.
    I am disappointed that you are not even going to attempt to read through your blog. Most of the mistakes look like they are just slips on the keyboard. Okay.
    Pathetic Paragraph 1, Line 1: cafe, this not cafe,this. The correct way of spelling it is actually café but cafe is also acceptable so you are let off this time.
    there is no need for the comma in Pathetic Paragraph 2 Line 1.
    No we journey into the land of proper paragraphs, not small pathetic ones.
    Paragraph 1, Line 1: On the 18th what? The 18th day of the elephant's journey to the moon?
    Paragraph 1, Line 1: is a stunning place or is stunning but not is stunning place.
    Paragraph 1, Line 2: islands. Apparently not islands,apparently.
    Paragraph 1, Line 3: is. You not is, you
    Paragraph 1, Line 4: here. The not here, and.
    Paragraph 1, Line 5: no need for the comma.
    Paragraph 1. Line 7: some little not somelittle.
    Paragraph 1, Line 7: hopefully not hopefully.
    Paragraph 2, Line 5: opposite not opposit.
    Final Proper Paragraph, Line 3:, you not youy.
    Final Paragraph, Last Line: 'Mt.' not 'mt'.
    Penultimate Pathetic Paragraph, First Line: Very not VEEEEEEEERy. I am rather surprised you still haven't got to grips with capital letters, it is normally only a problem for eight year olds.)
    Final Paragraph, Line 2: off... not turned of..
    In the last paragraph you have not used a °, you have used an apostrophe. not acceptable.

    I am doing this manually as always but if one wishes to check before hand one can click onto this site: spellcheckplus.com.

    From Dave, the potato: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=ScrEClY6eP-iBM:&imgrefurl=http://hipster-objects.tumblr.com/&docid=NSWkIXDn_uAeAM&imgurl=http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6q4gxZVTg1raw5rio1_500.jpg&w=500&h=636&ei=DBEFUcWHFY600QXhuIGwDw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:7,s:0,i:100&iact=rc&dur=473&sig=106296124480307513712&page=1&tbnh=191&tbnw=172&start=0&ndsp=18&tx=125&ty=51

    Sorry about the length of the link but please visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, love dave the potato! I apologise for my pathetic opening paragraph, maybe if I change the font it will improve my grammar??

      Delete
  4. Hi Kate. I'm so pleased Uganda has turned out to be such a culturally and visually inspiring place. I regularly check the weather in Kampala on my blackberry and I'm glad your weather is in complete contrast to ours! I know you're basking in beautiful weather.
    We watch David Attenborough every week and are getting to know the African continent better.
    We're busy preparing for our skiing trip which is coming up soon and our departure for Australia and New Zealand on the 23rd of March. We are having a week in Sydney before going to Christchurch and we're getting very excited about it.
    We haven't had a lot of snow so not much sledging.
    Jack's been riding his bike a lot since his first major outing the day before you left!
    He's been cycling in Happy Mount Park and the prom quite a bit.
    Other news: Jack has a perforated eardrum which might stop him swimming in Aviemore. Lara's on heat! The weather's awful.
    Looking forward to hearing of your continuing ganders in Uganda!
    Take care. Lots of love, from Dad. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahhaa, what would you do without that blackberry! I'm in Kampala at the moment and it's actually been pretty overcast today. Oh wow, a week in Sydney will be fantastic! that's great about Jack and his bike, say hello to him from me, maybe you could show him the pictures of me and him before I left? sorry about his ear. speak to you soon. I think there is a way to make cheap calls to my Ugandan number, maybe you could talk to mum about it, would be lovely to speak to you xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi Kate,
    Lovely to read your blog.Great idea to give us slices rom your diary. I could picture you soaking up the sights and sounds and new experiences. The children you descibe seem to be having a real, adventurous childhood despite their poverty. Bit confused because I thought the term started on the 28th January?
    Life goes on here. Had 15 for Sunday lunch which was fun. Louis and Jenny and I set off for Liverpool by train in the snow and ended up in Manchester. Its not quite the same. Find myself missing you at funny times. eg. in the supermarket when I dont get the things you like. When the laundry is much less!!
    Predictably lost 2 comments responding to your blog and not managed to phone yet but have found companies that charge 5 or 6p a minute. I'll get there.
    Take care. Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so easy here to just lose yourself in everything that's going on around you. so many new sights and experiences all the time! yes, the children alwasy seem to be so happy, despite everything! lunch sounds great! how did you manage to end up in manchester instead?! I miss you too, especially when you say things like that! I've been so busy here, it's hard to find time to think about home! hope you find this company,and we can speak soon! love you xxx

      Delete
  6. Dear Kate,
    This is a turn up for the books, Grandma blogging (that is such a horrible word, couldn't they have come up with something better than that?) whatever next. I must say, though that it is a great way to communicate with you, a great improvement on writing 20 odd page letters, when your Dad and Michelle were on P.T.

    It was really wonderful to read your first impressions of Uganda. It made me feel quite emotional, to hear you were so enthralled by it all. I must say it all sounds amazing and I am really looking forward to seeing your photos, which I know will be good enough for publication in National Geographic. Hey, there's a thought - that could make you some money. I am sure you could also write a very eloquent article to accompany them too. Contrary to Joe's comments!!

    I knew exactly how you felt when you thought you had lost all you'd written, when there was a power cut. It has happened to me on numerous occasions, for no apparent reason, after having spent about an hour writing an e-mail. So glad you were able to retrieve it.

    I feel very envious of you at the moment with the wind howling outside and the rain lashing on the windows. But on the 7th March Alan is taking me on a 15 day Caribbean Cruise
    so I will also be able to soak up the sun, while everyone at home is shivering.

    I am really looking forward to the next instalments from you and anticipating all the amazing experiences that are certain to be awaiting you, if the first 2 weeks are anything to go by.

    Take great care of yourself, Kate, have lots of fun. Thinking of you. Lot and Lots of love Grandma xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma! How great to hear from you on here!! I'm so glad you found my blog! yes, it's such an easy way to keep in touch with so many people.
      Hopefully you will be able to see some photos, is there any way you can link up to facebook? maybe you could get dad to email you a few or something? not sure theyre quit N G worthy, but I've certainly been taking a lot!
      Yes, it's one of the most frustrating things!
      you're off to the Caribbean?! wow, you two really know how to have fun!

      I'm impressed, not every grandma can do what you do!
      lots of love to you tooxx

      Delete