Thursday 17 January 2013

OVERWHELMED

HELLO EVERYONE!

THIS IS THE FIRST CHANCE IV'E HAD TO GET ON THE INTERNET. I AM HAVING THE MOST UNBELIEVAVLE TIME, UGANDA IS INCREDIBLE, I'M HAVING TO WRITE IN CAPITALS JUST TO TRY TO CONVEY HOW EXCITED I AM, AS WORDS ALONE REALLY ARE NOT ENOUGH!

I FEEL AS THOUGH I'VE BEEN LIFTED OUT OF MY LIFE INTO A WHOLE, NEW WORLD. I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START. CALUM AND I HAD A PRETTY DRAINING JOURNEY, STOPPING IN ADDIS ABABA BETWEEN 3 AND 7 ENGLISH TIME, BUT THE SUN WAS RISING BEAUTIFULLY AS WE WERE LANDING, IT TRUELY WAS SPECTACULAR. THEN CONTINUED TO KAMPALA, I WAS SHOCKED, FLYING OVER UGNADA, AT HOW INCREDIBLEY LUSH AND GREEN EVERYTHING IS. IN KAMPALA JOHN MET US AND TOOK US BACK TO HIS HOUSE. BUT ACTUALLY I STAYED IN THE GUEST HOUSE ACROSS THE ROAD, WHICH WAS RIDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL, WITH A 4 POSTER BED, AND THE WORLDS BIGGEST MOSQUOITO NET SURROUNDING IT. A FEW OF THE GUYS WHO'VE BEEN HERE SINCE SEPTEMBER WERE AROUND IN KAMPALA, AND CAME OVER TO MEET US. WE WENT FOR A WANDER TO GET BEER. ON THE WAY BACK, CALUM LITERALLY DISAPPEARED WHEN HE FELL DOWN A 6 FOOT... I KID YOU NOT, IT WAS A 6 FOOT HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, HE WAS TOO BUSY WATCHING OUT FOR THE BODA BODAS SPEEDING TOWARDS US. MUCH TO THE AMUSEMENT OF A GROUP OF UGANDANS WHO WE'D AQUIRED. IT WAS THE FUNNIEST THING I'D SEEN IN A  LONG TIME. IT STILL MAKES ME LAUGH JUST WRITING ABOUT IT (SURPRISINGLY HE WAS UNHARMED)

THE NEXT DAY WINNIE TOOK US INTO TOWN, WE CAUGHT OUR FIRST "TAXI". KAMPALA IS INCREDIBLE,. IT'S THE BUSSIEST, NOISIEST, MOST CROWDED, HOTTEST, DUSTIEST, SMELLIEST CITY I'VE EVER BEEN TO. BUT THE PEOPLE MOVE SLOWLY, NO ONE IS IN A HURRY, EVERYONE, WELL MOST PEOPLE, HAVE TIME FOR YOU. THE POLAR OPPOSITE TO CITIES IN THE UK. DEFINITLEY MORE DIFFICULT BEING A GIRL THOUGH, THE FUNNIEST WAS SOMEONE ASKED ME TO "TALK ABOUT LOVE".
THERE'S SO MUCH MORE I COULD WRITE ABOUT KAMAPALA, BUT I HAVE OBNLY 6 MINUTES LEFT IN THIS LITTLE INTERNET SHOP, WHO IS PLAYING ABBA, AS THE OWNERS, AND FRIENDS, SING ALONG.

I'M NOW DOWN IN KABALE (I KNOW I YOU SAID I SHOULDN'T TRAVEL STRAIGHT AWAY MUM) BUT WE'RE WITH A GUY WHO'S PROJECT IS DOWN HERE. WE'VE JUST GOT BACK FROM VISITING HIS LITTLE VILLAGE, WHICH WAS VERY EYE OPENING. IT'S BEAUTIFUL DOWN HERE, LIKE, STUNNING, LOOK IT UP! WE BOUGHT 9 PASSION FRUIT FOR 25P BEFORE, THERE'S FRUIT DRIPPING FROM THE TREES.

REALLY HAVE TO GO NOW\

LOVE TO EVERYONE
LOVE YOU MUM, DAD, JEN, LOU, LIZ AND JACK\
THANKS FOR READING! LEAVE ME A COMMENT IF YOU HAVE TIME, SO I KNOW YOU'VE SEEN IT
XXXXX

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kate. That's wonderful. It brings back memories of my first impressions of ports we called in at on the way and Hong Kong itself when we arrived. I know it will be a massive culture shock but the culture shock coming back here is even bigger sometimes! You suddenly see the whole British culture in a whole new light. Continue to enjoy yourself. Love Dad.
    Hey Kate! Great to hear from you! Delighted to hear you're having a mind blowing time! I know the feeling! Kampala as you describe it sounds exactly like Bangkok. Amazing. Everyone one there, in the chaos and unbearable smelly heat, smiled warmly and constantly. Shocking! Isn't the fruit out there fantastic? We saw Africa on TV last night it was about the huge jungle in Congo, it was v exciting to watch. We are gonna have snow here in the next 12 hours - Jack is telling all his friends. We will keep you informed of our sledging activities if you keep us informed about your fruit picking! Lots of love Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, sounds amazing already . Keep enjoying every new experience. Looking forward to keep hearing how you are getting on. Love The Wilkinsons. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! kate it sounds amazing, its so lovely to hear from you so soon! sorry i havent commented untill now,i have tried 4 times and it never seems to work,i think its because i was trying on my ipad! its so good to hear that its going so well! and glad to hear calum didnt injure himself! i had my parents evening last night and it went well. we are hoping for snow tomorrow, to go sleighing, it will be so weird without you! whats the weather like there? miss you so so so so much kate...love you more than anything, jenny xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate,
    Just me popping in to correct you on stuff.
    Firstly, this is worse than Ben's blogs but he has had a several month advantage over you to learn how to write correctly. Now for the many corrections and comments.
    The first thing I noticed was that there is slight misuse of capital letters. Only a small point though!
    First proper paragraph (if 'HELLO EVERYONE' is supposed to be a paragraph, honestly, it's pretty pathetic. Therefore I'm not counting it as one.) Line 1: I've not Iv'e
    Paragraph 1, Line 2: ...incredible. I'm... not ...incredible, I'm... This is because the part before my correction of a full stop is a different subject matter to the part afterwards. (Also notice the correct use of ellipses, unlike in your subtitle, there are 3 dots.
    Paragraph 1, Line 4: you say that words are not enough to convey your excitement but obviously they are, seen as you haven't added any pictures of you with an excited face. Words in capitals are still words.
    Paragraph 2, Line 1-2: no need for the comma after 'whole'.
    Paragraph 2, Large middle section: you need to replace some of the commas with some other form of punctuation, sometimes there is a comma every three words.
    Paragraph 2, Line 10: I highly doubt it is the world's largest mosquito net. One of the largest mosquito nets was 20 metres across.
    Paragraph 2, Line 14: There is a beautifully and correctly used ellipsis and the the 'I kid you not' reminds me much of a thing Miranda would say when she looks at the camera.
    Paragraph 3, Line 2: You have put ,. instead of a comma.
    Paragraph 3, Line 2: Busiest not bussiest.
    Paragraph 3, Line 7: funniest thing was not funniest was.
    Where it says 'really have to go now\' you didn't need the backward slash.
    One last thing that's bugging me, the font. It's mostly okay, but the numbers. Is the font called 'obsessed with chemical equation numbers' by any chance?

    Joe (In case you didn't realise that it was me and thought that it was a potato that went to oxford doing english that was correcting your many errors.) Sorry about that rather long winded sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Kate. Blogging is so immediate and fresh! Gone are the days of telegrams and letters! Its wonderful to get a feel of your experiences. Always have loved the way you soak up and savour new sights and sounds. It's so easy to picture you laughing at Calum. Small break as Louis is helping me to use this IPAD and we have just read Joes piece. How can I carry on. ...? just want to say delighted for you so far..First few days of not missing you and thinking how adjusted I was being in coping with you moving into the next stage of your life has melted into missing you tons!!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still at the stage of thinking 'this time last week we were walking along Morecambe prom all together', what an amazing week you have had - navigating to and around Uganda so deftly as you did on our travels together in Europe. There is no snow this morning here but I think we will go and find some today. love you loads Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're glad to hear you arrived safely and that you're enjoying it so much. Poor Calum, he's lucky he didn't hurt anything other than his pride! Looking forward to your next bulletin, take care and lots of love, Michelle and Jean xxx

    ReplyDelete